Al-Mahdi Foundation is currently engaged in a large scale sustainability and refurbishment project of their premises.
The main aims of the project are to :-
- Refurbishment of the building to improve the premises for the use of the community and also to make it more energy efficient.
- Raise awareness in the community about energy awareness through home visits.
- Educate the community on household energy savings and carbon reduction measures
- Al Mahdi Foundation has been working on the above initiatives with organisations such as CEMVO and Home Energy Scotland.
Al-Mahdi Foundation Sustainability 2018/20 Project’s Outcomes:
Improve the energy efficiency of the community building by installing energy efficiency measures and insulation – Project Saving 10.0 t CO2
Reduce the energy consumption of 200 households of community through home visits – Project Saving 69.1 t CO2
Reduce the energy consumption of 400 households of community through workshops and energy advice – Project Saving 49.4 t CO2
Increase the climate literacy of 200 households and provide training for 10 volunteers to be Carbon Literacy Champions
To reduce the amount of clothes going to landfill and purchased from new by engaging 200 households in upcycling workshop – Project Savings 65.6 t CO2
- Improved fabric of the building by replace, repair and insulate the whole roof, walls, doors, windows and floor to make whole centre more efficient.
- In the next step, the center’s heating and lighting systems will be upgrade to have more energy efficiency and reduction CO2.
- So far we done nearly 60 home visits and our clients who been.
- We have estimated to cut CO2 by around 100 tunes so far.